Nigeria gives visa on arrival (VoA) to citizens of all countries who require a visa to enter Nigeria. This means you can travel to Nigeria and get a visa at the port of entry (airport).
However, to qualify to travel and get a Nigerian Visa on Arrival (VoA), you must first get an Approval Letter from the Comptroller General of Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS). Do not travel without the Visa on Arrival Approval Letter, else you will be returned from the airport when you arrive.
Why the Nigerian Visa on Arrival Might Be Best Option for You
Here is why you may prefer getting a Nigerian visa on arrival instead.
It is faster to get a Nigerian Visa on Arrival (VoA)
It takes just two business days to get a Nigerian Visa on Arrival (VoA) approval. This is quite possibly the fastest way to get a Nigerian visa. If you have exigent need to visit Nigeria and don’t have much time on your side to complete bureaucratic procedures at the Nigerian Embassy or High Commission in your country of residence, then you’re better off getting a visa on arrival instead.
Nigeria Visa on Arrival (VoA) is Easier to Get
It might be a very hectic and futile effort applying for a Nigerian visa at the embassy in your country. If you have challenges getting a Nigerian visa in your country of residence, the Visa on Arrival program is the easier option. The visa on arrival program saves you all the stress and headache of visa application at the Nigerian embassy/consulate/high commission.
Visa on Arrival Could be a Cheaper Option
If the Nigerian embassy is far away from where you reside, it might cost a lot travelling across states or regions many times to go apply for a visa and also go for visa interviews. Other logistic costs will also add up. These and other reasons mean the Visa on Arrival (VoA) program could be a cheaper option for you.
No Need for Visa Interview
Many people dread going for a visa interview. Lots others who go for visa interview are denied visa. This is why most people prefer to go for a visa on arrival instead, without attending any visa interviews.
No Bank Statement Required
Other than your flight itinerary and passport data page, your bank account statement is not required to process a Nigerian Visa on Arrival (VoA).
These, and other reasons, are why many people may opt for a Nigerian visa on arrival.
How the Nigerian Visa on Arrival (VoA) Program Works
The Nigerian Visa on Arrival (VoA) program works like this:
- You MUST apply and get an approval letter from the Nigeria Immigration Service before travelling.
- You must attach a flight itinerary and passport data page to your application. Your flight itinerary should include a return ticket.
- Your passport must have at least six months validity (must not expire in less than six months).
- Application is done via email and approval takes within two business days.
- When your application is approved, you will receive a letter of approval from the Comptroller General of Nigeria Immigration Service.
- A copy of the approval letter will also be forwarded to the Airline (stated in your itinerary) and Immigration port of entry.
- After getting the VoA approval letter, you will be required to fill out a visa on arrival application online and pay the visa fee applicable to your country.
- After successful payment, make two printouts each of the Online Payment Receipt, Acknowledgement Receipt and Approval Letter. Also carry along two recent passport photos.
- That’s all. You can now travel to Nigeria and get your visa at the airport upon arrival.
Getting the Nigerian Visa on Arrival (VoA) Approval Letter
As earlier mentioned, you will need to first get an approval letter signed by the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service before you can qualify to travel and get a Nigerian visa upon arrival. This sounds simple sort of, but it is rather the most difficult step in the Nigerian Visa on Arrival program. Although there is an easier solution through which you can get the approval letter.
As stated by the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS), you can apply for the visa on arrival approval letter in two ways:
- By yourself via email, or
- Through a representative in Nigeria
To apply for a Nigerian Visa on Arrival Approval Letter by yourself:
Write an Application Letter to The Comptroller General of Immigration, NIS HQ, Abuja stating the following via this email address (email@example.com):
- Name of Applicant indicating Nationality
- Passport number of Applicant
- Purpose of visit
- Proposed date of visit
- Proposed port of entry
- Flight itinerary
- Address in Nigeria or Hotel Reservation
Attach the following documents:
- Copy of Passport Data Page
- Copy of Airline Return ticket reservation
After approval (which takes not more than two days), a letter will be forwarded to your email with a copy sent to the Airline stated in your application and Immigration port of entry.
The Nigeria Immigration Service does not charge for the approval letter if you apply on your own. But your chances of getting an approval directly from them are very, very slim.
Applying through a representative in Nigeria (Destinali) is an easy and guaranteed way to get a Nigerian visa on arrival approval letter. Though you will be charged a processing fee to facilitate the approval.
Presumably, what is required of you will be your flight itinerary, passport data page and payment of the processing fee. After this, we will approach the Nigeria Immigration and get an approval letter on your behalf. A copy of the approval will then be sent to you via email so you can make hard copies. Normally, this takes within 24 to 48 hours only.
Here’s how the VoA approval letter looks like:
Citizens of all nationalities who require a visa to enter Nigeria can get a visa on arrival in Nigeria. But before travelling, you must get an approval letter, otherwise you will be returned from the airport.
You can apply for and obtain a Nigerian visa on arrival approval directly from the Comptroller General of Nigeria Immigration, though it could be extremely difficult to get an approval letter via this method. Your best shot at getting a Nigerian visa on arrival approval letter is to apply through Destinali.
Need help? Ask in our Facebook group and get instant support
OR fill the form below: